Before A Laser Epilation Session +
- The area of the body which will be treated with laser epilation should not be tanned (fake/real). İt’s best performed when the color of the skin is closest to one’s own original color. Your skin color will be measured at our policlinic by a digital spectrophotometer where the amount (pulses of laser light and power density will be determined ) settings will be adjusted.
- 20 days before session no recent waxing, tweezing or sugaring should be done to remove hair from its follicles.
- We prefer that you come to treatment without shortening the actual length of hair . But if it must be done you cancut or shaving on the body parts and cutting with scissors for facial hair at the latest 3 days before treament date.
- No coloring or dying on the hair that will be removed by laser epilation treatment.
- If you are using any peeling products such as; retinoic acid, glycolic acid, must stop 15 days before treatment date.
- Make-up must be removed from area of treatment.
- Laser Epilation treatment cannot be performed if; you are in your first trimester of pregnancy, if you have used roaccutane in the last 6 months, psoriasis or any skin disease related to darkening of the skin.
After A Laser Epilation Session +
- 2 days after treatment it is not advised to be exposed to the sun or solarium. İf exposed to the sun (especially the face) a high protection factor of SPF 30 cream must be used.
- In between treatment suntanning or use of solarium will only delay treatment if skin color does not reach normal level before the next session. Treatment will stop until skin color has reached its original shade.
- You may take a lukewarm shower after treatment. Abstain from peeling scrub mitt, anything that causes irritation of the skin for a week.
- It is possible depending on level of skin sensitivity that pink skin or redness can be observed in body part from 1 hour –upto 1 week after treatment.
- It has been observed that in some people treatment on body part can cause itching, swelling, crusting, or acne. These effects will all disappear without any treatment.
- Hair follicles that have been exposed to treatment will grow between 3-10 days and will start to fall out or can be pulled out easily.
- The time between treatments for facial area is 4 weeks whereas other body parts is 8 weeks.
- The average number of sessions for body parts is between 4-6, where as facial treatment is 1-2 sessions. The number of sessions show variance according to skin and hair types. Hormonal inbalances can affect number of sessions.
- Hair density decreases 15-20% permanently per session. One can observe the difference after the 3rd session. If you continue treatment regularly it means that you are no longer experiencing hair problem.
- Treatment in big areas such as; arms, legs, back, chest, and genital area need to be checked. You are required to come in for a free consult 15-20 days after session. Any consult passed 20 days can affect treatment negatively. Treatment of small areas do not require consult due to the fact that it has no input for the treatment.
Why is Alexandrite Laser Preferred Over Other Epilation Devices? +
Alexandrite laser has been used all over the world and has proven to be a successful device backed up by years of experience. It is stronger then all the other laser devices. İt is a permanent solution for removing unwanted hair, almost pain free, can be used on large areas over a short period of time, and needs no special care which makes it an excellent device. Alexandrite laser light is absorbed by melanin pigment in hair and destroys the follicle. The air cooling system within the device protects the skin and removes the effects of pain completely. Epiderm uses the latest technology from the U.S FDA approved Cynosure Apogee 5500 Elite Laser Epilation System. It poses no threat to human health, trusted, and effective, laser epilation system (alexandrite laser) is scientifically certified by the FDA.
Why Do You Need More Then 1 Session For Laser Epilation? +
Each strand of hair in the human body has 3 phases; growth phase, the transitional phase, and the shedding phase. All phases of hair co-exist in the same area. In order to find the phase when hair is most vulnerable to laser light the treatment should be repeated successively. The number of sessions vary from one patient to another depending on the different areas of treatment 4-6 sessions should be sufficient. Your hair problem will disappear after your first session.
What Is A Laser Epilation Control Session? +
15-20 days following each laser pilation session you are welcome to a free control session. The control is done for body parts such as; arms, legs, back, chest or genital area. You need to make an appointment for the free consult. İf there is no need for a control session it will have no impact on your treatment. After a period of time control session will not be required due to the fact that it might alter the course of treatment. Late control session can affect the hair growth phase and alter the outcome of the next session and disrupt treatment. This is exactly what we do not want. Our computer system does not give any control session appointments passed due dates.
Is Laser Safe? +
Laser is a revolutionary technological advancement in medicine today. İt is being widely used (from eye operations to teeth filling) and has developed extensively in the last 30-40 years, proving its safety. One of the new developped area is laser epilation tecnology. With the appropriate type and settings it is being practised safely. There are no cancerous effects, chemicals or radioactivity when used for laser epilation. In our policlinics we use FDA approved devices which are being used all over the word from England to Australia.
Which body parts can laser epilation be used? What is the time span between sessions? +
Laser epilation can be applied to all body parts except the eyebrows and the eyes. Use of special goggles are required for eye protection. The time span between each session ranges anywhere from 4-6 weeks İn the face area, and the rest is between 8-10 weeks.
What is The Duration Of Each Session? +
The duration of a session varies within the device that is being used. But with speedy efficacy devices upto 3-4 minutes, on the face, 1-2 minutes on upper lip area, legs and men’s backs big areas need only a short period of 30 minutes.
Is There Any Pain? +
Although pain can vary from one patient to another, generally no pain is present. For sensitive patients, 1-2 hours before treatment numbing creams can be used to eliminate any pain that might be felt during the session. The cool air system in our device will be sufficient for most of our patients.
How Can increase Of Body Hair Due To Hormonal imbalance Be Treated? +
In very few cases 2-3% hair problem in some patients may be due to hormonal inbalances. In order to achieve permanent results laser epilation and medical care will be treated together simultaneously. When you are at our laser epilation center if you think you may have a hormonal issue, hormone tests can be done at our Tümlab clinic with a special discount for all lab work. The results of these tests will be evaluated by our in house Dermatalogists , gynecologists, and if necessary laser epilation will be performed with your medical treatment simultaneously.
Is There Any Scarring After Laser Epilation? +
A light redness on skin following laser epilation treatment can be expected. Usually this will fade away on its own within the next hour or so. Sometimes in exceptionally sensitive skin, or high dosage treatments of laser epilation can show redness. This can be treated within the next 1-2 days without scarring. After laser epilation therapy it is not advisable to being exposed to the sun or solariım due to any genetic pigmentation problems that may be the underlying reason for discoloration ( light or dark coloring) on the skin. Usually these cases are temporary and will go away given some time without any scarring.
What is A Digital Spectrophotometer Device And What Purpose Does it Have During Laser Epilation? +
The initial purpose of laser epilation is to apply enough laser light to target area to damage hair follicle and prevent growth. This procedure should be conducted with the appropriate settings to prevent scarring, irritation, or finally burning of the skin with an overdose of laser light. This highly delicate adjustment of dosage is very difficult to be done by a medical practitioner’s eyes. This is when a digital spctrophotometer becomes very important. The level of melanin in the skin, the hemoglobin in the blood and the light reflecting from the skin are all evaluated to determine the necessary dosage throughout treatment.
Is the Pricing per Session? +
Yes the pricing is for each individual session. After the 3rd session there is a 10% discount. Any treatment that is subject to a special offer for a specific treated area will be priced at the same amount until end of all sessions. Even if the offer expires the prices will remain the same until the end.
Can Laser Epilation Price Increase After Treatment Starts? +
No. The prices will not change during treatment of targeted body part.
Can You Perform Laser Epilation On Tanned (Real/Fake) Skin? +
Yes NdYag type laser device can be used for suntanned skin (real/fake) or dark skin. As epiderm we do not advise you to use this treatment for 3 reasons:
- NdYag laser (physically) is not able to penetrate deeply in to the hair follicle and is not effective in permanent hair removal, thus causes patient dissatisfaction.
- NdYag laser unlike Alexandrite laser which is what we use has a high risk of burning the skin which can be permanently damaging.
- NdYag laser treatment is more painful then Alexandrite laser and most patients discontinue treatment when appropriate settings is implemented.Low dosage and virtual treatment are ethically unacceptable commercial approaches for Epiderm. Epiderm realizes that there is more then just a cosmetic concern but an actual need; one must understand that laser epilation is never a medical emergency treatment, it is more beneficial to have the treatment 2 months after your skin has turned to its normal color. Although our devices can be adjsuted to NdYag devices , as Epiderm we do not find this laser type suitable for our treatments in our clinics.
What is laser? +
Laser means Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. Laser moves in one direction and emits light that has energy. Laser light can be colorred or invisible. Visibility Works in correlation with wavelength. Their wavelength and power determine the appropriate area of use in medicine. Today laser is used in many fields of medicine such as laser epilation varying in types and wavelengths.
What type of laser is being used in laser epilation? +
The different types of laser that is being used for epilation purposes are; alexandrite, ruby, diod, NdYag, are to name a few. The names of these lasers are in direct correlation with their particular wavelength of energy they emit. During laser epilation laser light will go beyond the dermal layer until it reaches the hair follicle. Laser radiates heat which in turn destroys the hair follicle. Laser Works best with dark coarse hair because it absorbs heat better success in treatment. Those with darker hair color then their skin are more reluctant to have a beter outcome with least amount of side effects
What is laser epilation and how does it affect hair? +
During laser epilation the purpose is to destroy the hair follicle with selective heat which means destruction of the cells in the hair follicle by burning them. The hair follicle absorbs this energy which turns into heat and destroys the its own follicle , leaving no room for growth . Laser light is emitted in pulses of a milisecond to the skin through the dermis into the pigments where it is absorbed completely. All types of laser epilation stunts the growth of hair and within time the hair becomes lighter and its growth slows down. For permanent hair removal, the purpose is to destroy the papilla in the hair follicle completely. During treatment it is important to note the phases of hair growth which are; anagen, catagen, and telogen. During treatment the hair growth can be in different phases with 4-6 sessions one can see the results of laser epilation clearly. Appropriate laser used at appropriate settings depends on individual’s skin type and treatment.
How many laser epilation sessions are required? +
Laser light afects anagen (active) hair follicles. All follicles cannot be active simultaneously. Therefore when telogen (passive) follicles turn active they will also be needing treatment. A permanent solution can be reached after several laser epilation sessions. It is not possible to give a certain number of sessions since the hair thickness and density vary in each body and body part. Approximately 4-6 sessions will be enough. During laser epilation the patient’s skin type determines the appropriate settings for the individual’s treatment. The purpose of treatment is to affect the hair follicle enough without damaging the skin and finishing the treatment as quickly as possible. The duration of the treatment varies because of different skin types, body shapes, hormone levels of patients. The sessions are most likely to be repeated when the hair is in anagen growth phase.
Which body parts can be treated with laser epilation? +
Laser epilation can be applied to almost all body parts. The amount of hair growth and distribution of hair vary from man to woman. The essential problem seen in women are excessive hair production which can also be seen in men; İn their eyebrows, upper cheekbones, back, neck, chest and nape area. Each shot of laser light destroys 25-30 hair follicles, and with this efficacy treatment shortens the duration of the treatment extensively.
Can all skin colors be treated with laser epilation? +
For laser epilation treatment the ideal is to have light skin color with coarse dark hair. With the latest laser device Alexandrite, epilation can be performed on all skin types including dark ones too. By staying away from tanning (fake/real) treatment could be done all year long.
Who is eligible for laser epilation? +
Anyone with coarse dark hair over light skin color, over 12 years of age and male or female is eligible for laser epilation. There are many kinds of treatments for unwanted and excess hair. Out of all the possibilities laser epilation is the easiest, most efective, painless and most prefered treatment. Best results are achieved with dark hair on light skin. With appropriate settings for each individual’s skin type and hair treatment same results are achieved. Still treatment is not possible for black skin and colorless hair.
Can laser epilation treatment be done during pregnancy? +
There are no conclusive clinical trials that prove any effect of laser epilation on pregnant women. Nevertheless pregnant women must abstain from treatment in their first trimester of pregnancy.
What happens to the skin after laser epilation treatment? +
After the treatment the skin may feel like it was exposed to the sun and a slight burning sensation . But that will eventually fade away in a short while.
Any side effects of laser epilation? Any pain during treatment? +
There are no permanent side effects of laser epilation. During the treatment the hair follicle absorbs energy and in return some swelling and redness occurs. This effect diappears rapidly. A slight burning sensation can be felt during treatment. Numbing creams can help prevent discomfort applied before treatment.
Are laser epilation results permanent? +
Yes. The hair follicles that have been destroyed have no way to grow back again. The result has proven by studies and approved by FDA.
Does laser epilation treatment really work? +
After extensive research conducted in this area the FDA has approved that Laser Epilation is a permanent solution for hair reduction. Repetitive sessions do decrease the amount of hair and with consecutive treatments it increases the effect of permanent hair reduction.